If last week I published the first part of the analysis with the indications of our engineer about what is important when choosing a stroller (read here), today I leave you with Inma, our pediatric physical therapist.
But not only do I bring you his recommendations, also an incredibly cool draw !!! But before entering the rules of the contest, I recommend that you pay attention to the text that Inma wrote to us so that everyone is clear about the points that you should take into account before choosing the best stroller for you.
Next week it is up to me, as a mom, to explain our experience 😉 But at the moment I leave you a photo of our stroller in the middle of the Christmas trip (although it may not seem like it because of the short sleeves).
How to choose the baby stroller according to a pediatric physical therapist?
1.- BABY'S POINT OF VIEW
- Most recommended position for the baby according to its stages of development.
If we take the baby's age as a reference, we could make a mistake. Some babies begin to tolerate stable sitting at 6 months of age and others will wait until 9 months to do so. The ideal position is linked to the skills already acquired. For example: if the baby does not have head control yet, we should not place it in a baby carrier without back support from the head.
Thus, I suggest taking the baby's own motor development as a reference. It should be said that each baby has his motor learning rhythm and we should not be obsessed with being the first to consolidate motor skills.
The skills that we should observe in our baby are:
1.- Head control (from 0 to 4 months):
- It can be considered that the baby has cephalic control when he meets the following items:
- When we turn the baby upside down, he rests his forearms on the ground and is capable extend the cervicals to raise your head.
- When we have him face up stretched and we take him by the hands towards us (pull to sit maneuver) the baby flexes the cervical muscles and helps us sit him up. It is the typical test that pediatricians perform on babies between 0-3 months. At the beginning of this video we can see how a baby performs the pull to sit.
Head control is usually consolidated over 4 months of life of the baby.
It is true that one of the best positions for the baby from 0 to 4 months is lthe arms of dads ola baby carrier, which will be almost like being in the arms of mom or dad (It is important that the backpack incorporates rear support for the baby's head). In this way we go:
- arspit the flexed shape of the newborn's spine and pelvis
- pspray better joint consistency on your hips
- orWe offer security to the baby in the arduous task of supporting the head and tWe have the baby close with which we are going to stimulate all his senses (sight, hearing, smell, ...)
- without forgetting the vestibular apparatus and sense of balance: the verticality that we will give you with our arms or in the backpack, will collaborate to go towards standing.
- It is also very important that we can feel tension and discomfort from the baby's muscular contraction, which until now is an important form of communication for him.
But we will not always be able to hold it in our arms, so in those moments we must be clear about certain things that will make the baby more comfortable and safe:
- In those first months they have a very soft skull base so we will have to change the position several times so that it does not generate a postural plagiocephaly.
- That the position is completely stretched and with enough space to move. Sometimes we see strollers that have three pieces: carrycot, 'egg' and chair. The best option for the first months of life is the carrycot since the 'egg', baby carrier or 'maxicosi' makes it in a position not recommended for him and he should not stay in that device for more than 90 or 120 minutes because it could provoke him hypoxia, lack of oxygen (In the next entry we will talk about it)
2.- Control in sitting (from 6 to 10 months):
Once the baby has control of sitting, things change, but we will have to take it into account when buying the stroller to be able to cover both stages correctly.
Baby may be considered to have control while sitting when it is able to perform the following actions:
- Able to maintain sitting without resting hands on the ground. You can free both hands at once to manipulate a toy.
- From sitting, start lateral movements of the weight of your body. For example: If an object is placed on your right, you are able to stretch your right arm to reach it and then return to the starting position.
- In sitting we see that the baby is able to pick up a toy that is behind him, making a turn of the spine and without resting his hands on the ground.
The control of sitting is usually consolidated over the 9-10 months of the baby's life.
The baby who has already acquired sitting will be able to sit in a stroller, in a baby carrier (without the need for back support for the head), lying on your back, face down or whatever is most comfortable for him. In addition, at the moment it is in the middle of the transfers, that is to say, it will begin to make position changes that need practice so that the Central Nervous System (SNC) can organize and integrate it. To give you an idea in an adult it would be comparable to motor learning that involves driving a car (depress the clutch while I move the lever to 1st and without looking).
So the recommendation at this time is to have a stroller in which it is easy to get the child in and out because when you arrive at destinations (parks, beaches, play areas) it will ask you to go out to be able to practice all these movements that are so necessary for its development.
3.- Standing control (from 11 to 18 months):
Baby is considered to have sufficient standing control when he is able to stand upright, without leaning on furniture or on the hand or leg of an adult. Before reaching the standing control, you will have gone through the phases of standing upright supported with both hands and will start the lateral movement with the support of the hands.
At this point, the best way to consolidate motor skills is to have the freedom to try different positions. Stimulation by the family environment will be very beneficial to advance their movement patterns, so at this time the recommendation is a stroller that:
- Allow baby to get on and off easily
- Be light so that you can push it with complete peace of mind while helping your baby with his first steps.
- Make it easy to handle so that you can push it with only one hand (in the other you may carry the little one holding his hand)
- Later, the stroller allows the child to get on and off by himself.
As for the harnesses, it is important that they do not press any joint and allow free rib and abdominal movement for breathing.
It is recommended that they wear some type of protection so as not to cause chafing or may be uncomfortable.
- Materials on which the baby rests
A baby, especially the newborn, spends many hours sleeping in the crib, the stroller, etc. So it is important to note that:
- The materials must respect the shape of the baby's body, adapting to its curves and protrusions. Keep in mind that sustained pressure on the same area of the body can cause inflammation, swelling and redness at the point of maximum pressure. In the worst case, we can even produce pressure sores or ulcers.
- Ideally, the material should be firm and evenly distribute the baby's weight. A fine foam that when pressed allows us to feel the material behind it, would not be convenient. Since points of maximum pressure such as the back of the head (occipital), the scapulae and dorsal area, the buttocks or heels are going to suffer.
- Be breathable
- Be in control of the temperature.
2.- PARENTS 'POINT OF VIEW
- Postural hygiene when pushing a stroller
When you have a baby, you spend many hours pushing the stroller, so there are a series of instructions to keep in mind so as not to overload yourself or even injure yourself. Here we leave you some points that can serve as a guide:
- We must walk with good posture
- With head and chest upright
- Front view
- Chest out
- Relaxed shoulders
- Elbows in
- Contraction of the abdominal muscles
- Regulate the handle so that it allows us to have our elbows semi-flexed, between 90º and 0º of flexion.
- Prevent the center of gravity from going forward.
What happens if we do not respect the indications?
Our body center of gravity is located between the abdomen and the chest. According to the physiology of each person, some of us have it more advanced or less. What we have to take into account when pushing the stroller is to prevent our center of gravity from going forward, which is the trend that exists when having the hands resting on the handles.
If we drop the center of gravity forwardTowards the stroller, our lumbar paravertebral muscles will have to contract permanently to prevent us from losing our balance and falling forward. SIf this muscular demand is maintained excessively over time, it will cause discomfort such as low back pain.
The push force of the cart must come out from the movement of our body globally. Avoid pushing with the force of our arms. Remember that the movement when walking originates in our legs, from the strength of the hamstrings, twins, quadriceps, glutes, etc.
Is the type of grip important?
If the grip is double allows grip with the hand in neutral position, that is the forearm is neither pronation nor supination. In this way, there is no stretching of the forearm muscles and we will not force the insertions of the tendons in the elbow area (avoiding epicondylitis).
Conversely, if we have a horizontal bar our forearm will be permanently in pronation, to facilitate the hand grasping the bar.
If there is no previous pathology of the elbow or wrist, for me it would not be a decisive question in the choice of a stroller, since the force when pushing must be exercised with the whole body and never with the arms.
Now that you have clearer the things you should try, look at and assess before buying a stroller? To celebrate, let's go with him draw!
What do we raffle in mom's lab?
A SUPER BABYHOME EMOTION!
(In the same color as the photo)
What do I have to do to participate?
It is very simple:
1.- Be followers on Facebook of the Mom's lab (This raffle is only for blog followers, so it is essential to follow us on Facebook)
2.- Invite two friends to participate in the raffle How? you just have to tag them in a comment under the draw image on Facebook putting @ in front of the name
3.- Leave a comment in this post from the blog telling me What things do you value before buying a stroller?
4.-Subscription to the blog. It is not mandatory, but a while ago we had a draw and we had a hard time getting in touch with the person who had won. To prevent this from happening, I recommend that you subscribe to the blog and an email will arrive directly to your email (you will find the subscription button in the header on the right).
It is not necessary to share the publication, but thanks to you we continue to grow and help other parents to know all the information and analysis of childcare products. And you see that every day we have more raffles 😉
What is the term and procedure of the Draw?
The draw starts right now 9 February 2016 Y ends March 4, 2016 at 11:59 p.m..
The draw will be made thanks to a numerical list and random.org. I will publish the name of the winner in this same edited post. It is important that you are fans of Mom's laboratory to be up to date with everything.
You can only participate once per person. Duplicate comments will be automatically deleted.
Fake profiles will not be counted.
We will contact the winner by email.
Contest valid only for the peninsula.
The model to be delivered is the same as the photo, color included. It cannot be exchanged for another model.
DO NOT MISS IT! LOTS OF LUCK TO ALL!
ISSUED MARCH 7, 2016
I want to thank all of you who participated in the raffle. As I always say (and I will continue to say) I would love to be able to send a stroller to everyone home but it is impossible. For this reason, at the Mom's Laboratory we are going to work hard to overcome many more things as thanks to the support you give us every week on social networks, blog and everything else. Many millions of thanks, for me these raffles are very important. I love being able to send you a little bit of hope! Maybe next time you are the winner 😉 In this case we have a name:
WE ALREADY HAVE A WINNING FAMILY !!!
Comment number 60:
CONGRATULATIONS FAMILY! In order to send you the gift, I need you to write me an email to email@example.com within 7 days (today included). After 7 days without news, the stroller will be drawn again with the same list of participants. Thank you very much!
DON'T MISS US FOR THE NEXT INFORMATION, DRAWS AND MANY MORE THINGS ABOUT PREGNANCY, MATERNITY, CHILDHOOD AND BABIES!