As you already know this weekend Mr. D and I have been in the Madrid childcare fair. We went there because on Friday
it seemed that there was a very 'interesting' plan for security talks (we will shortly post a post on them).
Those who know Madrid know that the distances are gigantic and that if you go to the Fair, more! Well, after spending all day between news and talks I had to go by taxi to the place where we would sleep that night. There was no possibility of traveling by metro or train. Only taxi. Since the previous afternoon I toured the streets of Madrid asking all the taxi drivers that I found if they had a seat and the answers were always no, I decided to book a CABIFY Error!
What was my experience?
I have decided to write this post to help other families who are in the same situation. From what I have seen and heard these days Cabify is not too clear with the service it offers.
I am going to contradict you first what my experience was and then I explain what they publish on their website of this service.
At 10 in the morning I made the reservation for the taxi, since if not it is impossible to find it for the moment. I specified that I was traveling from IFEMA to Cobeña at 8.15pm and that I needed a group 0 and a car in which you could put the stroller (which is quite large).
What was my surprise? That the driver appeared with a 1/2/3 seat
At that time I informed him that I could not get in the car because my son is 4 months old and that chair is not suitable for him.
His immediate response was: 'This chair is for babies from a very young age. If you can'
I insisted that that chair was not suitable and after thinking about it he said: 'What if we put the carrycot on the seat?'
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Neither the carrycot of my stroller is approved for such use nor, even if it were, I would put my son in it to travel in the car.
Finally I told him that it was possible to leave, that the service had to be canceled and that I would be approached with a car and a chair in good condition. So the driver told me that the service could not be canceled by him, I had to do it assuming a cost of € 10
How? Why? Then he tried to contact Cabify to see how we could do it differently. After 20 minutes, cabify did not answer and I had to cancel and pay € 10 for a service that I could not use because it was not adequate.
The next day, we had to travel to Atocha from Cobeña, so I was in the same situation. So I went back to using cabify, but this time I wrote in the message that I needed a maxi-cosi (instead of a group 0) in case they understood it better this way. Apparently, said so the driver understood it and the one who came to pick us up did carry a group 0. Peeeeeeeerooooo very deficient and would even say that it was dangerous. Here it is:
- It was in terrible condition.
- It is quite likely that it was more than 10 years old (with which it is expired)
- The harness did not hold Mr. D well with what was slipping away and he had, as you can see, the beginning of it well above the shoulders.
- The padding of this chair was non-existent. Simply plastic coated with the case.
The chair had to be installed by me. Obviously and after the experience in both cases, I did not want to be installed for fear that they would not do it well.
I went all the way (the 28 minutes) clinging to the chair as if there was no tomorrow, with terrible fear. That chair was not in good condition, but he had no other way to travel to Atocha.
What does cabify report on its website ?:
If you read carefully your website you will see that they tell us:
- At Cabify we have Child Retention Systems according to the size and weight of the minor (groups 0, 1, 2 or 3). Request it by writing to your driver when requesting your Cabify. (Make sure much, much, much when you make the reservation. And I would say more: call the driver directly if not until they arrive you will not know if it is the chair you need. Anyway by phone, the first driver assured me Yes, the chair she was carrying was suitable for 4-month-old babies. A pro-marching chair! At the fair there were colleagues who lived through the same situation. Among them Lucia de Planning to be parents. post)
- Remember that the first chair is FREE, and that each additional child restraint system you request will have an additional cost that varies depending on the country. This cost will be added to your travel invoice once it has been made and verified by our team. (What they do not inform you is that they charge € 5 per group 0. This information only appears in the application in the prices section. They do not inform you when you make the reservation either)
- In case of requesting a retention system in the immediate requests of ASAP, Cabify cannot guarantee that the vehicle has a chair or, if it does, that it is from the requested Group.
- To request more than one retention system, the request must be made with a minimum of 6 hours in advance, with a maximum of 3 seats available per trip.
- Finally, don't forget that Group 0 or Group 0 + seats have to be placed in the opposite direction to the direction of travel. (It is necessary that you do not give this information only to parents. It is necessary that drivers have a minimum understanding of child restraint systems)
- I will never use Cabify again.
- If you cannot get into his car, the cancellation will cost you € 10 (unless you do it an hour in advance. Which in our case was not possible)
- If Cabify is advertised, hype and dish, as an App that gives 'a service to travel safely with children' cAs they say in this article from the Country, It is necessary to update the retention systems since they are old, in terrible condition and, in some cases, expired. It is INSUFFICIENT and DANGEROUS
- If you order a Cabify Baby make sure you have ordered it well since it is very very very likely that they will only come with a group 1/2/3 chair
- Cabify drivers do not have the slightest training in baby seats. This is intolerable since they can give false information to families, as in our case when it was intended to put a 4-month-old baby in a pro-driving seat or in a carrycot (not approved)
- We are light years away from getting children to ride a taxi safely. The only solution is to bring your own retention system 🙁
Have you used Cabify Baby? What is your experience Have you found any driver with Reverse Gear Retention Systems? What condition was the seat the driver was wearing?
Your experience will be very useful for other parents 😉